Privacy PolicyCookie PolicyTerms and Conditions

Thursday 25 October 2012

Cabaret Voltaire

This piece was made for a collage project. I was doing my research on Dada and came up with the idea of using a "Gimp-like" image in one of my works.

At the time I was painting a series which related to my fears and desires...I felt the "Gimp" image was perfect to express my thoughts on the subject of love, as I had recently heard a quote by Malcolm Maclaren (founder of The Sex Pistols) who said "The Gimp gets to a stage, where he cannot fuction without a mask to hide behind."

I felt this to be true of me in some ways, as at times in order to deal with certain situations, I also hide my feelings behind another version of me...I think if we are truely honest about things, we all do this to some degree.




Theatre Box

Curtains up!

The gimp has one hand removed (this is why the doll was donated to me) it fitted in quite well with the whole feel of the piece.



                                                  cinema ticket and song lyrics on walls




                                                       tacks glued to neck to make spiked collar






No comments: